Monday 8 November 2010

And now for something completely different...

On Friday evening I finally learned to do something I've wanted to do for such a long time.

Believe me I tried to learn on my own, I watched videos on-line, read instructions on-line and my husband bought me a book with detailed insturctions but could I get my head round it? No. I was visiting my mum on Friday when I spotted a hook in her pen pot so I grabbed a ball of (the cheapest, nastiest, squeakiest, acrylic) yarn and asked her to show me how to crochet granny squares. I'm not really fussed for learning to crochet anything fancy, I love knitting and have not seen any crochet patterns that scream out to me more than knitting ones do. There's just one thing I want to make with crochet and that's granny square blankets.

Thanks to my mum I've started my first one!


knitting 112


Just as my first attempts at knitting were it's wonky, there are mistakes and the tension is uneven BUT it's a crocheted granny square and that makes me happy. I'm going to stick with this one and keep going using up whatever old scraps of acrylic yarn I can find, I don't have much but my mum is always willing to share as she gets lots donated to her so she can make charity things and she can't use it all. I'm happy with this one being cheap, nasty, squeaky acrylic because I'm going to keep it in the car for emergencies and take it camping with us so it needs to be washable. It's fun though, I'm really enjoying it and whilst I don’t see crochet replacing knitting in my heart any time soon I do appreciate the speed of crochet and how I really can just pick it up and do a couple of trebles in between things when I wouldn't have the time to knit a full row. Yep, I'm all for granny squares! I just must not let this overtake my Christmas knitting…nope, mustn't!

4 comments:

  1. Ooo! I'm jealous! I would love to learn to crochet, but I can't find anybody to teach me. I've tried teaching myself, but I know I'm not holding the hook properly.

    Your square looks fab, good luck with the rest of your blanket. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! You know that you're going to start accumulating a crochet stash now don't you?! Looks great, have you looked at all Lucy's things over at Attic24?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crocheting is great for large simple projects like blankets ... most especially since you don't have to have a 3-foot long circular needle! I also love crochet because you really don't drop stitches. I've made several baby blankets from granny squares, they're always popular. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are you going to use it on camping trips for for? Or what emergency in the car?

    I just surfed in with a curious mind.

    Janey
    janeyknitting AT yahoo DOT ca
    (Change caps to symbols and lose the spaces)

    ReplyDelete